Friday, December 19, 2014

Crocheted Mop Head Put to the Test!


I always see these" crocheted Swiffer heads" on Pinterest, tried it, loved it. Well, my mop died one day, Swiffer went missing, and my only option was a $1 Dollar General sponge mop. WHAT TO DO?!? Whip out a hook and see if it works. I crocheted a cover for the mop head and tried it for a week, worked great. The real test was this morning. A full glass of chocolate milk was spilled on the floor as we were leaving.  We were late, so it sat for an hour. Drum roll please......a few squirts of cleaner and a couple swipes and spotless. Even the grout is clean.....Love this!

What you need
A cheap sponge mop
A crochet hook,size according to yarn (I like to use an E for baby types, J for regular, N for bulky)
Yarn, Scraps of any size, gauge and texture. Cheap standard yarn makes a good scrubber, Bulky = absorbent, Chenille or fuzzy = dust mop, etc.
 about 18 inches of thin elastic


What to do:
1. Make a chain of stitches the length of your mop head (in this case,30) plus 3


2. Double crochet each row until the rectangle is the height and width of the bottom of your mop head (about 4 rows)  I like to do a single crochet all the way around my rectangle, my stitches aren't very even,so it gives a better shape) I also like to use the back loops so I get a lot more texture, but it's whatever you like.













3. Double crochet a row all the way around the rectangle, but make sure to go through both top loops.





4. Continue to double crochet around the rectangle until the height of the sponge. Tie off. Thread elastic around the top of the cover, tying a bow in the front.



No comments:

Post a Comment